Below a selection of my (public) activities. Furthermore, I am currently working on:
- Involved in organizing the Media Architecture Biennale 2020, in Amsterdam/Utrecht (23-27 Nov. 2020).
- Co-leading the NWO-funded project “Designing for Controversies in Responsible Smart Cities” (start Fall 2018).
- Chairing a special interest group “Inclusion in the Datafied City“, as part of the Utrecht University focus area “Governing the Digital Society“.
- Chairing a special interest group “Playful Cities“, as part of the Utrecht University focus area “Game Research“.
- Co-authoring a paper on data-walking with colleague Karin van Es.
- Collaborating with citylab RAUM and data design office CLEVER°FRANKE in the project Cirque du Data, for which my students in the New Media & Digital Culture MA program are doing a commissioned research assignment on the question how to involve people in Utrecht’s Leidsche Rijn area in processes of urban datafication. Opening 1 Nov. 2019.
- 31 Oct. Public presentations student work for Cirque du Data project at RAUM, 14:30 – 17:00.
- 30 Oct. 2019 Launch Special Issue Leonardo Electronic Almanac on “Urban Interfaces”, as IMAPKT pre-event, Het Huis Utrecht.
- 10 Oct. 2019 Talk about “The Hackable City” at the BRIDE workshop taking place at the AMS Institute, organized by Sage Cammers-Goodwin & Michael Nagenborg.
- 19 Sept. 2019 Keynote at the event Beyond Smart Cities Today, organized by Centre for BOLD Cities.
- 14 May 2019 Moderation of public book launch “The Playful Citizen: Civic Engagement in a Mediatized Culture” in Spui25, Amsterdam.
- 5 April 2019 Talk at kickoff event “The future city: boring or bombastic?”, organized by UTwente & Future City Foundation Amersfoort (as part of my NWO project Designing for Controversies in Responsible Smart Cities)
- 26 March 2019 participant in roundtable session SensorLab program “Demystifying the Smart City” about the role of art in the smart city.
- 21 March 2019 Guest Lecture Rotterdam Academy of Architecture and Urban Design “De data-gedreven stad: implicaties voor stad, stedelijk burgerschap en stedelijk ontwerp”
- 19-20 March 2019 [urban interfaces] Critical Making workshop “The Right to the City & Urban Commons”
- 12 March 2019 [urban interfaces] graduate seminar 2018-2019 #3 “The Right to the City & Urban Commons”
- 26 February 2019 [urban interfaces] graduate seminar 2018-2019 #2
- “The Right to the City & Urban Commons”
- 12 February 2019 [urban interfaces] graduate seminar 2018-2019 #1
- “The Right to the City & Urban Commons”
- 31 Januari 2019: Talk at event Connekt Talks: ‘Smart Cities, Hackable Cities?’ https://www.connekt.nl/events/connekt-talks-smart-cities-hackable-cities/
- 2 November 2018 Sensor Lab public presentation student work (New Media & Digital Culture programme) and expo.
- 30 October 2018 student presentations of course work for Creative Urban Technologies (part of the minor Creative Cities) at RAUM Utrecht.
- 26 October 2018 UU masterclass with Evgeny Morozov, co-organized by Impakt Festival and UU (Centre for the Humanities and Co.Laborations at dep. MCW).
- 26 October 2018 expert meeting with Evgeny Morozov, co-organized by Impakt Festival and UU (Centre for the Humanities and Co.Laborations at dep. MCW).
- 28 September 2018 artist talk/masterclass Karen Palmer, co-organized by Netherlands Film Festival (NFF), HKU, and UU (Co.Laborations).
- 16 September 2018 Talk “De slimme stedeling in de data-gedreven stad” (The Smart Citizen in the Data-Driven City) at CCU12++ One Hour Code Jam at Winkel van Sinkel, during Culturele Zondag Uitfeest in Utrecht.
- Interview for article in KNACK Weekend Magazine 26/09/2018.
- 27 June 2018 Talk “Critical making of Public Urban Interfaces: an Approach to Designing Frictional Data Dashboards” at NECS2018 conference in Amsterdam.
- 18 May 2018: artist talk with data artist Mimi Onuoha in partnership with Fiber and Impakt.
- 15 May 2018: data walk in the city “Exploring Scenographic Strategies in Data Walks”, organized by Karin van Es, V. Rittmann, Sigrid Merx, Michiel de Lange, Nanna Verhoeff.
- 9 May 2018: co-organizing the 4th graduate seminar meeting of our [urban interfaces] research group about Urban Frictions.
- 8 May 2018: organization of mini-conference on Copyright, Authorship, and Open Culture, together with colleagues Jasmijn van Gorp and Michiel Kamp.
- 2 April 2018: Guest in podcast “Onder Mediadoctoren” about urban tracking.
- 6-7 March 2018: co-organization of workshop “Critical Making of Frictional Urban Interfaces”, with Nanna Verhoeff, Hira Sheikh, and Sigrid Merx, and various professional partners.
- 10 January 2017: co-organized meet & greet with Shannon Mattern at Parnassos, collab between [Urban Interfaces] and MCW Expertise Centre.
- 18 January Invited discussant as MCW Expertise Centre lead for RMA course “Expanding Theatre” by Maaike Bleeker.
- 19 January Invited keynote for iCity Masterclass at University of Amsterdam http://urbanstudies.uva.nl/events/content/courses/2017/01/masterstudio-the-i-city-the-urban-challenges-of-icts.html.
- 30 Jan. invited talk at Ecogames Symposium, organized by Joost Raessens at Utrecht University https://www.uu.nl/en/events/symposium-ecogames-game-research-meets-sustainability.
- 27 Feb. Moderation and co-organizing expert meeting “Imaging [Urban] Data Visualization” https://mcwexpertisecentre.sites.uu.nl/2017/01/23/imaging-urban-data-visualization/ (Urban Interfaces, Datafied Society, SETUP, MCW expertise centre).
- 1-2 April – Invited keynote speaker at Datapublics workshop/conference, Lancaster University http://datapublics.net.
- 19 April Co-organizing colloquium with Eric Gordon (with HvA, and Play the City).
- 20-21 April – Moderation of International Games for Cities conference at Het Nieuwe Instituut – http://gamesforcities.com/.
- 14 June 2017 Participatory Urban Interfaces workshop UU. Organized by Michiel de Lange and Sjors Martens from [Urban Interfaces] and The Center for the Study of Digital Games and Play. Sponsored by the focus area for Games Research.
- 5-7 Sept Invited workshop participant “The Right to the Smart City” organized by Rob Kitchin at Maynooth Univ., Ireland.
- 27 Sept. moderation at Netherlands Film Festival. Laborations and Netherlands Film Festival (NFF) teaming up for end of Sept. 2017.
- 28 Sept. organizing and moderating panel “Algorithmic Reality” at Netherlands Film Festival.
- 29 Sept. co-organized RMeS Masterclass with Janet Murray.
- 29 Sept. talk “Data en de stad” at Betweterfestival on 30 September 2017.
- 5 October co-organizer Tabita Rezaire PCI: Lecture and Screening.
- 24 October moderator of Conference “A City as Smart as its Citizens” NatLab, Eindhoven (Dutch Design Week/World Design Event).
- Interview for Smithsonian Magazine for article “How Instagram Is Changing the Way We Design Cultural Spaces”, 8 Nov. 2017.
- 20 November 2017 Organized a playtest of Redesire, together with Delaram Ashtari.
- 1-2 December invited (special lecture) speaker at “DATA (FOR) CULTURE” event, Katowice, https://dataforculture.eu/en/programme/.
- 12 Jan. 2016 Invited talk “Playful City” talk COST TU1306 Action, Poznan
- 14 March 2016 Pakhuis de Zwijger Cultural Commons evening – invited panellist
- 21 March 2016 Invited respondent Dorien Zandbergen event Amsterdam Metropolitan Solutions (AMS ) –
- 20 April 2016 Invited participant and advisor Nationale Wetenschapsagenda “smart city” track – TU Delft
- 22 April 2016 Games focus area lunch talk UU
- 23 April – 10 July 2016 contribution to IABR expo “hackable cityplot”
- 20 May Invited respondent “affect space” symposium (Eric Kluitenberg).
- 27 May Fab City Amsterdam – testing hackable watergame.
- 30 May 2016 EU city makers summit watergame testing Pakhuis
- 6 Juni 2016 Host of a Datafied Society “smart cities” meeting UU
- 16 June 2016 Expertise centre: organize game spectatorship event Het Nieuwe Instituut.
- 23 June Organized & chaired “smart & playful cities” seminar for Games focus area
- 29 June Lead Watergame testing at International Architecture Biennial Rotterdam (IABR)
- 30 June Invited speaker INtetain conference Utrecht
- Interview for Smart City article by Rob Hartgens for ING bank internal pub
- 20 Sept. 2016 Invited guest lecture Innovation Institute Copernicus UU (Frans Sengers).
- 20 Sept 2016 Invited guest lecture about the data-driven smart city for UDS at Stadhuis Gem. Dordrecht
- 27 Sept 2016 guest lecture MA course Ingrid Hoofd
- 3 Oct. 2016 moderation of “Rezone Redesire” game launch in Pakhuis de Zwijger
- 11 Oct. 2016 moderation of Games for Cities event in Pakhuis de Zwijger http://gamesforcities.com.
- 12 Oct. Invited guest lecture UU Humanities Lectures 2016-17 ” Imaginaries of the Future ” about hackable city project
- 23 Oct. 2016 Moderation Utrecht “Games for Cities” Talkshow in Overvecht http://gamesforcities.com/
- 24 Oct. Co-organized seminar with Maarten Hajer hosted by the Urban interfaces group.
- 27 Oct. Organized & moderated session at Impakt Festival with student presentations from Research Lab 1 course.
- 22 Nov. Talk at MEDIATIONS conference, RCA London – http://tr-aders.eu/conference/general-theme/.
- 29 Nov. 2016 Invited guest lecture Gem. Rotterdam Knowledge Lab Urban Big Data.
- 13 Dec. 2016 Organized & chaired lecture & Workshop Ole B. Jensen & Simon Wind at UU, Sweelinckzaal.
- 17 Nov. 2015 Guest lecture TU Delft, Industrial Design course “Design, Culture & Society”, for Annemiek van Boeijen/Timo de Rijk.
- Co-organized & moderated event with talk by Sander Veenhof “Why Theatre?! Virtual Realities In The City“, Het Huis Utrecht, October 15 2015.
- Talk “Leven in hybrid reality“, Studium Generale “Reality Check”, Utrecht University, October 14 2015.
- Presentation “The Hackable City: collaborative city making in urban lab Buiksloterham”, during workshop “Ethical surveillance in Smart and Hackable cities”, organized by Michael Nagenborg, with guest Gemma Galdon Clavell, UTwente, Monday, Sept 28, 2015, Philosophy Lab.
- Talk “Mapping the smart city: dashboards, data, design“, at TRADERS Training Week #3 on Performative Mapping, Design Academy Eindhoven/Utrecht University, July 3 2015.
- Co-organization, introductory talk, and moderation workshop “The Hackable City: collaborative city making in urban lab Buiksloterham”, Digital Cities Workshop 9, University of Limerick, June 26 2015.
- Lunch talk “The Hackable City: collaborative city making in urban lab Buiksloterham”, Utrecht University, June 22 2015.
- Co-organized workshop about Game Design for the Circulair City at Kennisdag Gemeente Amsterdam, Tolhuistuin, June 11 2015.
- Article in Dutch newspaper Parool “A truly smart city is a playful city”, May 30 2015.
- Talk “The Playful City: Can play and games help to make truly smart cities?” at the “Digital Spaces: Games, Design, Art” conference, University of Siegen, as part of Playin’ Siegen Festival, Gemany, April 19 2015.
- Interviewed for NRC Handelsblad 18&19 April 2015 “De Mobiele Mens: flexibel, creatief en onbetrouwbaar“.
- Talk “Playful City-Making: The Citizen as Urban Planner in the Smart and Social City”, workshop “Urban Interfaces: The Playful Citizen” at ISIS 2015 Conference “Play, Perform, Participate“, Utrecht University, April 17 2015.
- Talk “Playing Life In The Metropolis: Mobile Media and Identity in Jakarta”, at “The Making of… Playful Identities: The Ludification of Digital Media Cultures” (panel & book launch), at ISIS 2015 Conference “Play, Perform, Participate“, Utrecht University, April 16 2015.
- Short-Term Scientific Mission (STSM) COST Action TU1306 “The Playful City” at the Pervasive Media Studio, Bristol UK, March 25 – April 2 2015.
- Talk and discussion “Campus City – Knowledge Commmunity” Utrecht Manifest, 9 March 2015. http://www.utrechtmanifest.nl/programma/9-maart-campus-city-knowledge-community-een-discussie-met-jurgen-bey/.
- Participant in AT5 television program Wereldstad, about the media city. http://www.uu.nl/nieuws/michiel-de-lange-op-at5-over-nieuwe-media-en-de-stad.
- Talk and presentation “Publieke Ruimte – Publieke Zaak” Pakhuis De Zwijger, Amsterdam. 3 February 2015. http://www.dezwijger.nl/131969/nl/publieke-ruimte-publieke-zaak-strategieën-voor.
- Guest in Radio show BNR Eyeopeners, “Je huis als control room“, 1 Sept. 2014, about domotica, in Tolhuistuin Amsterdam.
- NWO KIEM grant research program “Hackable Metropolis Amsterdam”, Sep 1 2014 – April 1 2015 (main applicant).
- Organization & moderation workshop with Eric Gordon about urban gaming & civil participation on digital media platforms, with Ginette Verstraete & Martijn de Waal, 24 June 2014. http://www.themobilecity.nl/2014/06/20/workshop-with-eric-gordon-urban-gaming-civil-participation-on-digital-media-platforms-24-june-2014/.
- Guest lecture “Play or be played: digitale media and playful identities”, Piet Zwart Insitute Rotterdam, June 22 2014.
- Participant academic workshop “Time Travelers: Temporality and Mapping”, University of Oxford, 27-28 May 2014.
- Panel “Special: Bouw je eigen buurt, Coöperatieve gebiedsontwikkeling op Zeeburgereiland en Buiksloterham” 7 May 2014. http://www.dezwijger.nl/CGSPECIAL.
- Expert “Quantified Reality. Een verhaal tussen, data, macht en werkelijkheid”, Masterclass Sandberg@Mediafonds, 7 May 2014. http://www.quantifiedreality.nl.
- Talk “Mogelijke rollen van digitale media in revitalisering Houten centrum”, for event “Een rondje Centrum – (Re)designing Downtown”, Architectuurcentrum Makeblijde Houten, 30 April 2014.
- Talk “Spelen voor de toekomst: over de rol van spel bij gebiedsontwikkeling” and moderation of closing event “Spelen voor de toekomst” (Playing for the Future), Willem II Fabriek, Den Bosch, 17 April 2014. http://www.themobilecity.nl/2014/04/09/playing-for-the-future-event-april-17-2014-about-play-games-and-urban-redevelopments/.
- Talk “Digitale media voor zorg, gebiedsontwikkeling en waardecreatie in Het ‘Smart & Slow’ Dorp”, Siza/Het Dorp Arnhem, 24 February 2014.
- Talk and discussion “Dataism: What do you know when you know everything?” Design Column Roundtable #6, Hotel Droog, Droog Design, Amsterdam. 20 February. http://www.hoteldroog.com/hoteldroog/events-at-hotel-droog/#event-44.
- Moderation evening “Facing North“ at Pakhuis de Zwijger, Amsterdam. 22 January 2014. http://www.dezwijger.nl/92013/nl/facing-north.
- Talk “Nieuwe media, stad en eigenaarschap”, bijeenkomst SIZA / Het Dorp Arnhem, 20 January 2014.
- Moderation “Made by Us” symposium at Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism, Shenzhen, China. 8 December 2013. http://www.themobilecity.nl/madebyus.
Moderation “Made by Us” sneak preview at Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam, symposium at Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism, Shenzhen, China. 7 November 2013. http://www.themobilecity.nl/madebyus.
- Conference Talk “Made By Us: using smart technologies to repurpose industrial heritage”, international conference “The Dao of Being Smart” during Beijing Design Week at China Millennium Monument Museum of Digital Arts, Beijing, China. 27 September 2013. http://www.modachina.org/en/page/activity-539.html.
- Moderation opening ceremony “Rezone Playful Interventions”, De Heus Den Bosch. 13 September 2013. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2013/09/12/opening-rezone-playful-interventions-13-sept-2013-1615-den-bosch/.
- Talk “Life and art in the media city”, FIBER Coded Matter(s) #1 Unfolding Space. Brakke Grond, Amsterdam. 10 September 2013. http://www.fiber-space.nl/fiber-event/cm1-unfolding-space/.
- Talk “Made By Us: industrial heritage and smart & social cities”, Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam. 28 August 2013. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2013/08/26/made-by-us-new-program-about-industrial-heritage-and-smart-social-cities-beijingnlshenzhen/.
- Conference presentation “Playing Life in the Media City: Rethinking Ricoeur’s Narrative Identity in a Non-Western Metropolitan Setting” at conference Paul Ricoeur and the Future of the Humanities, June 27-29, 2013, Groningen. 28 June 2013. http://www.rmes.nl/conference-paul-ricoeur-and-the-future-of-the-humanities/.
- Panel debate “Nieuwe media en de stad”, book launch NWO-TKC project, SPUI25, Amsterdam. 4 June 2013. http://bit.ly/1icIrFE.
- Interview in ABN Financial Focus magazine (internal) about social smart cities, 1 June 2013.
- Conference talk “The smart city you love to hate: exploring the role of affect in hybrid urbanism”, The Hybrid City II: Subtle rEvolutions, 23-25 May 2013, Athens, Greece. 24 May 2013. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2013/06/03/presentation-hybrid-city-ii-conference-the-smart-city-you-love-to-hate/.
- Talk “Spelenderwijs eigenaar worden van je stad” at kick-off event Rezone Playful Interventions, Den Bosch. 8 May 2013. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2013/08/05/playing-against-vacancy-architects-and-game-developers-create-games-for-urban-change/.
- Talk “Engaging citizens with new media” (Dutch), Watertorenberaad, Kantine Walhalla/Fenixloodsen, Rotterdam. April 18, 2013. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2013/04/22/watertorenberaad-talk-engaging-citizens-with-new-media-dutch-18-april-2013/.
- Talk “What lessons can urban designers learn from new media?”, Europan, Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam. April 12, 2013. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2013/04/16/talk-what-lessons-can-urban-designers-learn-from-new-media-dutch-europan-het-nieuwe-instituut-12-april-2013/.
- Guest lecture “Play or be played? digital media & playful identities” for honours programme Vicissitudes of the Self at Erasmus University Rotterdam. April 9, 2013. http://www.eur.nl/onderwijs/honours/erasmus_honours_programme_2013/ehpuk/programme/unit2/.
- Moderation of expert session and public lecture Howard Rheingold at Utrecht University. Organized by Master New Media & Digital Culture Utrecht University + Mediawijzer.net. April 2, 2013. http://www.mediawijzer.net/publiek/agenda/keynote-en-college-tour-rheingold-over-mediawijsheid-en-net-smart.
- Talk “Playfully taking ownership over your media city” (in Dutch) at public library Den Bosch for Rezone project. March 6, 2013. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2013/03/11/presentation-playfully-taking-ownership-over-your-media-city-in-dutch/.
- Organization of series of events and moderation of Forum Discussion “Made by Us”, at Shenzhen Bi-City Biennale of Urbanism\Architecture, Shenzhen, China. 7-8 December 2013. http://www.themobilecity.nl/madebyus/exhibition-shenzhen-biennale/programme-opening-weekend/.
- Organization and moderation of “Sneak preview Shenzhen Architectuurbiënnale”, Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam. 7 November 2013. http://www.themobilecity.nl/madebyus/made-by-us-nov-7/.
- Organization and supervision of two-day international workshop “Made By Us” during Beijing Design Week at China Millennium Monument Museum of Digital Arts, Beijing, China. 28-29 September 2014. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2013/10/02/report-workshop-day1-made-by-us-using-smart-technologies-to-repurpose-industrial-heritage/.
- Moderation “Made by Us” symposium at Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism, Shenzhen, China. 8 December 2013. http://www.themobilecity.nl/madebyus.
- Participant in project “Public Space & The Public Good / Publieke Ruimte Publieke Zaak”, a collaboration between Trancity (Bart Lammers, Arnold Reijndorp and Simon Franke), The Mobile City and DUS Architects. http://www.themobilecity.nl/2013/03/06/public-space-the-public-good/.
- Participant in Radio show “Hoe?Zo!” about play. December 12, 2012. http://www.bijt.org/wordpress/2012/12/06/radio-show-hoezo-about-play-12-december-2012-2000-2100-radio5.
- Participant workshop “Werkweek: Metropool NL” in collaboration with One Architecture for Deltametropool Network for Metropolitan Development. November 27, 2012. http://www.deltametropool.nl/nl/werkweek_metropoolnl.
- Talk “Spel in de Mediastad”, Playing the City at Pakhuis De Zwijger Amsterdam. October 8, 2012. www.dezwijger.nl/page/57668/nl.
- Guest lecture “Sociale aspecten van nieuwe communicatiemedia”, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. October 5, 2012. bit.ly/Z5dble.
- Featured article in Atlantis Magazine 23.2 November 2012 issue by TU Delft Polis Platform for Urbanism.
- Interview with Michiel de Lange (The Mobile City) for EMI (European Metropolitan Network Institute): “How cities fully benefit from digital media technologies?” http://www.emi-network.eu.
- Talk “Engaging Citizens with Digital Media”, Urbanism Week, Technical University Delft. September 26, 2012. urbanismweek.nl/programme/workshops.
- Talk “Ontwerpen voor de Mediastad”, Stad, Spel en Digitale Media, CAST Tilburg. September 25, 2012. www.castonline.nl/node/543.
- Talk “Designing for Ownership: using digital media for urban change”, World Design Capital Helsinki. July 22, 2012. virtueelplatform.nl/activiteiten/dutcheculturedays.
- Talk “From Smart cities to Social Cities: digital media for better urban life”, Strelka Institute Moscow. July 14, 2012. bit.ly/LmhRax.
- Talk “Playing the media city: the citizen as urban planner”, The Citizen Scientist On The Move, Utrecht University. June 25 – 27, 2012. www.citizenscience.nl.
- Guest lecture “Play or be played? digital media & playful identities”, Honours Programme Vicissitudes of the Self, Erasmus University Rotterdam, April 16, 2012.
- Guest lecture course Design for Intersubjectivity through Haptics, TU Eindhoven. February 29, 2012.
- Interview for NRC Handelsblad 27 Feb. 2012 “Vertrouwde vreemden vinden elkaar in mobiele stad” by Tracy Metz. https://www.nrc.nl.
- Organization & Moderation international conference Social Cities of Tomorrow organized by The Mobile City and Virtueel Platform. MC Theater Amsterdam. February 17, 2012. www.socialcitiesoftomorrow.nl.
- Panel Trust Design talkshow organized by Premsela Institute at ARCAM. February 15, 2012. www.premsela.org/publicaties_1/trust-design.
- Organized the Workshop “Designing for Ownership”, hosted by Strelka Institute for Media, Architecture and Design in Moscow. July 9 – 14, 2012. bit.ly/KZNJ8n.
- Organized the international academic and public event “The Citizen Scientist On The Move”, organized by Utrecht University & Waag Society Amsterdam. June 25 – 27 2012. www.citizenscience.nl.
- Organized the international conference & workshop “Social Cities of Tomorrow”, organized by The Mobile City and Virtueel Platform at ARCAM and MC Theater in Amsterdam. February 14-17, 2012. www.socialcitiesoftomorrow.nl.
- Talk “Hoe overleef ik de mediastad?” Broodje Kennis, Spui 25 University of Amsterdam. November 22, 2011. bit.ly/GDi1g0.
- Talk “Social Cities of Tomorrow”, Visible Cities, Trouw Amsterdam. October 26, 2011. bit.ly/GH5UJc.
- Panel session “Beyond Locative: Media Arts after the Spatial Turn”, ISEA, Istanbul. September 20, 2011. isea2011.sabanciuniv.edu/panel/beyond-locative-media-arts-after-spatial-turn.
- Talk “Ownership in the Hybrid City”, PICNIC, Amsterdam. September 14, 2011. www.picnicnetwork.org/conference_sessions/35.
- Talk “Ownership in the Hybrid City”, Stad, Spel, Data organized by Virtueel Platform. May 27, 2011. virtueelplatform.nl/activiteiten/stad_spel_data.
- Moderation Sentient City Book Launch: The Future of Urban Space, V2_ Rotterdam. May 14, 2011. www.v2.nl/events/sentient-city-book-launch.
- Talk “Doing a PhD in the Arts and Sciences” for PhDO Series NWO & Waag Society. March 25, 2011. events.waag.org/theatrum/phdo.
- Moderation and programming Mob Fest: thinking mobile/doing mobile, Mediamatic Amsterdam. March 23-24, 2011. www.mediamatic.net/204375/en/level-5-mob-fest.
- Talk “Wireless storytelling and publicness in The Mobile City”, Wireless Stories Conference organized by Sandberg@Mediafonds. Stadsschouwburg Amsterdam. February 17, 2011. www.wirelessstories.nl.
- Talk “Mobile media & (serious) games”, STT Expert Meeting (Serious) Gaming in a Networked Society. February 11, 2011. www.seriousgames.tv.
- Moderation session “Food and Global Mobility”, ElectroSmog Festival, De Balie, Amsterdam (March 20 2010). See www.electrosmogfestival.net.
- Talk ‘Mobile media and Urban Games’ at ‘Visible Cities’, De Verdieping, Amsterdam, April 7 2010.
- Guest lecture HvA ‘Designing urban interventions for mobile and locative media’, Hogeschool van Amsterdam, May 17 2010.
- Expert session during HOT100 @ PICNIC 2010, September 23 2010. See www.virtueelplatform.nl/hot100.
- Guest lecture ‘Mobile media and urban design’, Academie voor Bouwkunst Rotterdam, Kees Machielse, October 1 2010.
- Guest lecture ‘The Mobile City’, IMPAKT Festival Utrecht, October 15 2010.
- Guest lecture ‘Designing the Hybrid City’, Dutch Design Week Eindhoven, October 28 2010.
- Guest lecture ‘Mobile media and playful identities’, EUR, Valerie Frissen, master course ‘Domestication of ICTs’, November 4 2010.
- Guest lecture ‘Mobile and locative media and the city’, UvA, Jan Simons, honours program Media & Culture, November 9 2010.
- Interview ‘Labyrint Radio’ about mobile phone & identity, Radio 1, November 14 2010.
- Conference talk ‘From gengsi to gaul: mobile media and playful identities in Jakarta’, international conference ‘Homo Ludens 2.0: play, media, and identity’, University Utrecht, November 17 2010.
- Keynote talk ‘Spelen en gespeeld worden: identiteit en de mobiele telefoon’, Instituut voor Filosofie, Rode Hoed, Amsterdam, December 11, 2010.
- International expert meeting ‘Designing the Hybrid City’, organized by The Mobile City and Virtueel Platform at the Dutch Culture Centre, Shanghai, China, August 16-17 2010. See www.themobilecity.nl/adaptation.
- Guest lecture “Mobile/Locative Media and marketing” – HvA Amsterdam, February 10 2009.
- Guest lecture “Space, mobility, and media technologies” for international master course – Netherlands Film Academy Amsterdam, March 19 2009.
- Participating in online television program “Future visions of the telephone” for VARA ConsumentenTV, April 1 2009.
- Guest speaker at Over ‘t IJ Festival – Amsterdam, July 12 2009.
- Participation in VPRO radio program 3voor12 about influence of mobile phone, November 19 2009.
- Participation in HUMAN radio program about influence of mobile phone, November 20 2009.
- Participation in evening “Hogere Kaartkunde” in De Balie Amsterdam, December 14 2009.
- The Mobile City @IABR (International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam 2009) – NAi Rotterdam. A 3-day program about new media and urban culture co-curated by The Mobile City in collaboration with IABR, NAi, and BNA. November 5-7 2009.
- Lezing “De mobiele mens” voor Happy Chaos “Genesis 2.0” – Pakhuis De Zwijger, Amsterdam, May 24 2008. See http://www.happychaos.nl/web/page.php?25.
- Presentatie “Homo Mobilis?: Mobility, Mobile Media & Identity in Jakarta, Indonesia” voor PhD presentatie ronde op Faculty of Philosophy, EUR.June 27 2008.
- Lezing “Mobiele media in Jakarta, Indonesië” voor Studium Generale symposium over Populaire cultuur, November 11 2008.
- Guest lecture “Mobile and Locative Media and urban interventions” – HvA Amsterdam, November 23 2008.
- Guest lecture “Locative Media” Hogeschool van Amsterdam, afdeling Critical Media Design, November 26 2008.
- The Mobile City International Conference – NAi, Rotterdam, Februari 27-28 2008. See http://www.themobilecity.nl/activities.
- Co-organizing the NWO-TKC conferentie ‘Politics of Convergence’, VU Amsterdam, January 20-21 2009.
- Presentation with Esther Polak about NomadicMILK project at The Upgrade! – Melkweg, Amsterdam, March 21 2007.
- Round table discussion NWO Co-Ops project “NomadicMILK” – Lakenhal in Scheltema, Leiden. December 1 2007.
- Lecture and seminar with Kenneth Gergen, Erasmus University Rotterdam, June 12-13 2007.
- Initiator and organizer ‘Locative Media Club NL’ series of locative media evenings with artists, academics and media professionals.
- Organisation and moderation session “Open Source Software and Social Inclusion” Holland Open Software Conferentie, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, June 17 2006. See http://www.hosc.nl/2006.
- Paper presentation “Mobile Phone as Gift Culture” at International with Norm Friesen and Darryl Cressman (School of Communication, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada), Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, September 26 2006. See http://bit.ly/Xo5Pbj.
- Poster presentatie “Mobile Phone Ethnography” at Workshop “Virtual Ethnography in Contemporary Social Science” organized by Virtual Knowledge Studio, Instituut voor Sociale Geschiedenis, Amsterdam, September 27-29 2006. http://www.virtualknowledgestudio.nl.
- Presentation art/science project “NomadicMILK” at conferente MediaWijsheid, Pakhuis De Zwijger, Amsterdam, October 12 2006. http://www.mediawijsheid.org/pmwiki.php/Conferentie/Conferentie.
- Lecture “Mobiele telefonie als giftcultuur” at Transito Festival 2006, Melkweg Amsterdam, October 27 2006. http://www.leidsepleintheaters.nl/transito.html.
- Guest lecture course “Domesticatie van de Digitale Wereld” by Valerie Frissen. 2006